In 2020, the effects of the pandemic forced us to shift to remote teaching and learning in order to keep our community safe. We felt certain that we had to account for what had changed since our inaugural strategic plan, including disruptions caused by the pandemic, growing awareness surrounding issues of social injustice, and increasing inequities facing students today. With that in mind, we launched the Strategic Plan Refresh, which engaged the entire college community in a yearlong series of events, including strategy sessions, surveys, and group discussions led by dynamic guest speakers. These events allowed us to reconsider the relevance of our values, reconnect with our students, and craft our next objectives and action items.
Educate. Inspire. Connect.
Holyoke Community College aspires to be a college of academic excellence known for helping students overcome barriers to success.
STUDENT EXPERIENCE STATEMENT
Holyoke Community College commits to delivering a transformational student experience characterized by:
- A student-ready environment with connections that draw people, services, and resources together to address students’ needs and ensure their success;
- An affordable, relevant education designed to ensure equitable student outcomes, resulting in career and transfer opportunities that enable all students to thrive;
- An approach to educating the whole person that consistently meets students where they are and engages them in real-world learning experiences; and
- A vibrant, diverse, and inclusive college community that enriches the learning experience, delivers unwavering encouragement, and builds lifelong connections.
Faculty and staff of Holyoke Community College commit to support this transformative experience through:
- Accessible, guided, and intuitive services that support and inspire students and their families;
- Culturally responsive practices that promote equity within and beyond the classroom;
- Technology, data, and predictive analytics that enable HCC to deliver personalized, proactive, and responsive programs and service; and
- An agile and supportive culture that recognizes the importance of professional development to build knowledge, skills, and a deep understanding of our students.
Kindness, inclusion, and trust are the foundations of the work that we do together. Innovation and collaboration enable us to explore and implement the ideas that will shape our future.
Innovation: We empower each other to explore, share, and actualize our ideas to continuously improve the HCC experience for all. We do this with creativity and agility by keeping an open mind, taking risks, evaluating outcomes, and learning from mistakes.
Collaboration: We work as a community to develop and achieve common goals through an open exchange of ideas. We do this by encouraging wide-ranging participation, intentional communication, and the pursuit of diverse perspectives and expertise.
Kindness: We approach all interactions with empathy and in consideration of one another’s needs. We act with the highest levels of professionalism, respect, and civility as we seek common ground and strive for mutual understanding.
Inclusion: We provide a fair and welcoming environment where all voices are heard and meaningfully included to contribute to the growth and success of HCC. We take intentional action, challenge our assumptions, foster belonging, and respect the uniqueness of individuals and diverse groups.
Trust: We assume the best in others, prioritize transparency, and communicate with honesty, clarity, and consistency. We do this thoughtfully by including all stakeholders in the decision-making process and following through with our commitments.
STRATEGY 1 - TEACHING & LEARNING: Enhance and expand innovative teaching and learning practices that result in a quality education for all.
STRATEGY 2 - EQUITY & STUDENT SUCCESS: Collaborate with the communities we serve to increase equity.
STRATEGY 3 - WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT & TRANSFER: Align program outcomes with workforce demands and student needs for employment and transfer.
STRATEGY 4 - FINANCIAL SUSTAINABILITY: Create a sustainable model for long-term financial stability and growth.
Strategic Plan PDF