Janet Lavin Grant, 413.552.2445, email@example.com
The purpose of this certificate is to provide students the opportunity to learn and practice in the field of Medical Billing & Coding as an entry into the field of Health Information Management. Students will have the opportunity to perform medical billing and coding procedures in order to complete health insurance claims according to the requirements of the health insurance industry.
Upon completion of the certificate, students are prepared to work in physicians’ offices, long-term care facilities, insurance and billing departments, health information management departments, and hospitals.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Describe the field of electronic medical records
- Demonstrate a basic proficiency in anatomy and physiology to the extent required for medical billing coding and insurance personnel
- Be able to prepare billing and insurance documents and provide record quality control
- Practice medical billing and coding skills in an electronic environment
- Be able to dictate, transcribe, format, and edit various types of medical reports and correspondence
- Be proficient in the use of ICD-9-CM, ICD-10-CM, ICD-9-CPT, ICD-10- PCS & HCPCS Level 2 coding systems
Upon completion of their case-study based practicum, students should be workplace ready upon graduation. Students will be eligible to sit for the following Massachusetts State and National Exams:
- Certified Billing & Coding Specialist (CBCS) Exam through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
- National Certified Insurance & Coding Specialist (NCICS) Exam through the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT).
- Certified Professional Biller (CPB) Exam through the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC).
- Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS) Exam through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA) Exam through the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) Exam through the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC), for Apprentice status.
- Registered Healthcare Documentation Specialist (RHDS) Level 1 through the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI).
- Certified Healthcare Documentation Specialist (CHDS) Level 2 through the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI).