Elissa Brill Pashkin, 413.552.2291, firstname.lastname@example.org
The purpose of the certificate is to acknowledge college-level work in Music for those who are not completing the full A.A. degree in Music. Upon completion of the certificate, when combined with another associate degree program, students will be prepared to pursue a Bachelor of Arts (rather than a Bachelor of Music) degree, or minor in Music, at their transfer institution. Students who are not also enrolled in an Associate’s program will be prepared to audition at institutions that require a performance audition for admission. The certificate may be used by those students who would like to augment any degree program at the college with serious study in music, or simply to improve performance skills for personal enrichment.
Students enter the Music program through audition. Those students demonstrating significant potential, but with limited background in music reading or performance technique, will be placed in preparatory classes designed to develop the skills needed for college-level work.
Holyoke Community College is an accredited institutional member of the National Associate of Schools of Music
National Association of Schools of Music
11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21
Reston, VA 20190
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- perform at a first-year college level on an instrument or in voice in either jazz or classical styles, both as a soloist and in ensembles
- demonstrate knowledge of basic theory and traditional harmony at a first-year college level
- conduct and sight-sing melodies
- demonstrate keyboard skills appropriate to two semesters of Class Piano study
- demonstrate vocal skills appropriate to two semesters of College Chorale
- achieve basic computer literacy for music notation and analysis
- contribute to the cultural life of their community
- appreciate diverse musical forms and styles