Ileana Vasu, 413.552.2438, firstname.lastname@example.org
This option prepares students to transfer to mathematics programs at four-year colleges and universities within the Massachusetts State System.
With a bachelor’s or graduate degree in mathematics, one can qualify for a broad range of careers in industry, business, government, and teaching.
The primary function of this program is to prepare the student to transfer to a four-year college and major in mathematics. The program can also serve as a first step towards pursuing a four year degree in a related field where a strong background in mathematics is needed, such as engineering, computer science, actuarial science, business management and finance.
Regardless of their future plans, this program is intended to provide all students with the opportunity to expand their knowledge of mathematics and improve their skills in problem solving and critical thinking. The ability to solve problems and figure things out is of tremendous value in so many areas, and in life in general, that this program can serve as a first step towards a career in many different fields.
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- demonstrate a solid knowledge of mathematics which exhibits breadth and depth in calculus I, II, III and courses from linear algebra, differential equations, discrete mathematics, and others
- be able to identify, formulate, and solve problems by means of creativity, guessing, proofs and modeling
- model real data and build or use mathematical models via technology or otherwise
- cooperate as part of disciplinary and multidisciplinary teams
- communicate mathematical ideas in both written and oral form effectively
- understand the global, economic, and societal impact and power of mathematics
- understand career possibilities for mathematics majors
- have participated in professional development such as the AMATYC competition and honors projects
- comprehend contemporary issues related to access, equity and diversity in the field of mathematics
- be lifelong learners
- transfer to a four year school
GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: 20 CREDITS
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS: 27-28 CREDITS
SUGGESTED ELECTIVES: 11-12 CREDITS
See note 2
GENERAL ELECTIVES: 0-2 CREDITS
Sufficient to complete 60 credit graduation requirement
- General Elective Credit(s): 0-2
TOTAL: 60 CREDITS
1 PHS 111 -PHS 112 or CHM 121 -CHM 124 recommended.
2 CSI 106 , CSI 111 , CSI 254 , CSI 256 , EGR 118 , MTH 205 , MTH 214 , MTH 230 , and MTH 245 are recommended. Transfer institutions require courses such as MTH 205 , MTH 214 , or MTH 230 in their first 2 years of college. However, any course listed in the college catalog maybe used to complete 60 credit graduation requirement.
This program qualifies for MassTransfer, which guarantees credit transfer to Massachusetts state colleges and universities. MassTransfer will also grant students automatic acceptance to certain state colleges and universities by achieving the minimum grade point average and the HCC degree.
Depending on course selection, 80% of this program can be completed online. Go to Online Learning for more information.