Oct 05, 2022
Diane Stengle, 413.552.2532, email@example.com
An A.A. degree in chemistry will allow students to transfer to a program offering either a B.A. or B.S. degree in chemistry or related science. The A.A. degree in chemistry also leads to work as a laboratory technician in such areas as biotechnology, environmental studies, and food technology.
Transfer students must determine their electives, particularly the foreign language, based on the requirements of the institute to which the student is transferring.
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- understand the methods employed by science, along with their applications and limitations
- apply general scientific principles and theories to the solution of problems and to the decisions made in our technological society
- develop the skills needed for work in a scientific laboratory setting
- develop a contemporary view of the physical environment, as well as obtain an appreciation of the human effort involved in developing that view
- form a foundation for further study in chemistry and other sciences
- develop mathematical skills in quantitative problem solving
- experience and appreciate group learning as a method of professional interaction in the laboratory
GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: 36 CREDITS
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS: 8 CREDITS
SUGGESTED ELECTIVES: 16 CREDITS
Sufficient to complete 60 credit graduation requirement1
TOTAL: 60 CREDITS
1 If planning to transfer to a 4-year institution as a chemistry major, PHS 111 -PHS 112 is recommended as a substitute for PHS 101 -PHS 102 .
Only 6 non-arts and science credits may be taken as general electives.
This program qualifies for MassTransfer, which guarantees credit transfer to Massachusetts state colleges and universities. MassTransfer will also grant students automatic acceptance to certain state colleges and universities by achieving the minimum grade point average and the HCC degree.
Depending on course selection, 50% of this program can be completed online. Go to Online Learning for more information.